In this ever-changing, fast-paced world everything has moved from physical to digital. Where marketing spends once relied on expensive billboards and elite newspaper and magazine adverts to reach your target, we have now witnessed a paradigm shift towards digital. The internet and social media tend to command the attention of your audience. Your targeted audience spend more time on the internet on their computers and smartphones as opposed to engaging in printed media and other traditional forms of advertising.
So where should your marketing focus lie? Broadcast mediums and out-of-home advertising may not be the solution you seek, or more importantly, the solution your companies need. Today, Digital Marketing has become a smarter choice in reaching your desired target audience. Not only does it prove to be cost-effective, but digital marketing provides your business with the tools necessary to edge competition while ensuring growth and survival in a digital arena influenced by modern technology.
A testimony to this is that global marketing trends have seen a shift from traditional forms of media toward social media and the internet. As such, digital marketing has become essential to any business with a focus on advertising and the aspirations for growth and sustainability.
According to Statista, in 2017, 176.5 million smartphones were shipped to the Middle East and Africa. With 5G now being tested across the continent, it will only spur the growth of internet usage, as globally users spend up to 9 hours per day on the internet, according to Common Sense Media.
If that statistic is not enough, ad spending in the Asia-Pacific region (APAC) will rise 10.7% to $210.43 billion in digital marketing this year, from 2017, according to eMarketer. While China is responsible for nearly $13 billion of the region’s $20 billion increase in spending, mobile formats are primarily driving advertising expansion in China.
Statistics show evidence that your audience is online, and other businesses have already caught wind of this are yielding the results of investing in digital marketing.
Here’s why your company should shift its focus toward digital marketing:
- Cost-effectiveness – First and foremost, digital marketing proves to be a more inexpensive means of marketing your business. Traditional marketing platforms across all mediums prove to be costly, with smaller enterprises lacking the financial resources to commit to such advertising.
- More tangible ROI – An increase in digital marketing spend offers your business the data analytics to show an increase in revenue, and ultimately the effectiveness of a campaign. This allows you, as a business owner, to predict revenue outcomes of a campaign, or any other digital marketing ventures, more accurately.
- Be closer to your audience – Traditional forms of marketing often lack the opportunity for your audience to engage with your company. Digital marketing links the strength of your company’s online presence to your business success, while broadcast and public relations campaigns cannot. Whether sparking a conversion through a social post, or unique product or service offering – digital marketing offers your business an opportunity to engage with your audience on a more personal level.
- Own the mobile market – Smartphones have become one of the most widely utilised tools to access the internet. Thus, with internet usage on the rise throughout Africa, while digital marketing and mobile marketing makes for an effective tool for your business while placing you ahead or on par with competitors as an early entrant.
- Tracking your audience – Giving your business an effective online presence, allows you as a business owner to measure the success of your campaign through mobile traffic. Your traffic is easily measurable through not just analytics but also through an increase in your subscriber base.
- Analytics – Traditional forms of marketing lack the analytic accuracy of the reach of your campaign. Digital marketing offers you the opportunity to gauge the accurate performance of your campaign.
- Give your target audience the best experience – With the data provided through the analytics of a digital campaign, you are not able to identify your ideal target audience more accurate and tailor the experience you offer them to better suit their needs and desires.
- Grow your online following – A substantial following online and through social media channels, offers a business the opportunity to be recognised as an industry leader. Today, an online clout ranks a business as being more trustworthy in the eyes of the consumer. Strategic digital marketing can increase your business’ credibility as a brand through social media while increasing traffic to your website.
- Opportunity to embrace video – With the decrease in the cost of data for the consumer, businesses can now take advantage of multimedia content to effectively marketing their offerings and better capture their audience. It is estimated that an online user spends up to two-thirds more time engaging with an online post when it includes video.
- Future-proof your business – With digital marketing being primarily online-based, your business automatically becomes future-proof with content, easily adaptable for newer device platforms, as we move toward the Internet of Things. This allows your business to stay ahead of competitors while making use of the latest technologies to effectively market your offerings.
- Earn the trust of your audience – Through the growth of digital marketing across the globe, it is already evident that consumers turn to the internet as their first port of call when looking for a product or service. Maintaining a strong online presence with healthy online feedback from your customer, set your business ahead and further bolster your credibility among your target audience.
- Saving you time – So many business owners today feel that hiring more sales consultants with the right contacts can increase revenue. However, with the emergence of Artificial Intelligence and its subsequent digital capabilities, your business now has access to customers while eliminating the manpower once required. AI offers effective targeting of the right customers, essentially saving you valuable time to invest in other aspects of your business.